- This event has passed.
2015 Symposium of Sts. Cyril & Athanasius of Alexandria Institute for Orthodox Studies
February 14, 2015 @ 7:00 am - February 15, 2015 @ 4:30 pm
2015 WINTER SPEAKING SCHEDULE
February 14 through 15, 2015. Dr. Christopher Veniamin, Professor of Patristics at St. Tikhon’s Seminary in Northeast Pennsylvania, will be the Keynote Speaker at the 2015 Symposium of the St. Cyril and Athanasius of Alexandria Institute for Orthodox Studies in San Francisco CA. The Symposium will take place at the Old Cathedral of the Holy Virgin, 864 Fulton Street, San Francisco, CA 94117.
Professor Veniamin will give three lectures based on his book, The Orthodox Understanding of Salvation: “Theosis” in Scripture and Tradition, addressing the general theme of the Symposium, The City a Desert: Living the Life of the Desert in the Midst of the World.
Professor Christopher Veniamin is a spiritual child of Elder Sophrony of Essex, holds his first degree in Theology from the University of Thessalonica (Greece), and obtained his doctorate from Oxford University, under the supervision of Metropolitan Kallistos Ware. He is the editor and translator of Saint Gregory Palamas: The Homilies (2009 and 2014), and the author of The Orthodox Understanding of Salvation: “Theosis” in Scripture and Tradition (2013, 2014 repr. ed.).
Dr. Veniamin is also the President and Founder of Mount Thabor Publishing, which was established in 2005, and has edited and published books by Archimandrite Zacharias, Professor Constantine Scouteris, and Klaus Kenneth.
2015 Symposium of St. Cyril and Athanasius of Alexandria Institute for Orthodox Studies: The City a Desert: Living the Life of the Desert in the Midst of the World
Saturday, 14th February 2015
- 7:00 – Registration opens / arrival; light continental breakfast snack service during arrival and registration
- 8:00 – Opening prayer and welcome remarks
- 8.15 – Introduction to the Symposium by Archimandrite Irenei (Steenberg)
- 8.30 – Lecture I – by Dr. Christopher Veniamin: “Salvation in the Orthodox Church: Metanoia, Hesychia and Theosis,” Part 1
- 10:00 – Coffee
- 10:30 – Lecture II – by Hieromonk Alexii (Altschul)
- 12:00 – Lunch
- 1:15 – Panel Discussion
- 2:00 – Lecture III – Speaker TBA
- 3:15 – Tea break
- 3:45 – Book Signing and tour of the Old Cathedral and its sacred treasures
- 5:00 – Vigil Service at the Old Cathedral, celebrated by local clergy
Sunday, 15th February 2015 (Feast of the Entry of the Lord)
- 9:00 – Festal Divine Liturgy, concelebrated by symposium clergy, together with local clergy and any symposium participating clergy who may wish to celebrate
- 12:00 – Lunch Break
- 2:00 – Special Roundtable Event: “Locating the Desert in the City” with Dr Christopher Veniamin, Hieromonk Alexii (Altschul), Archimandrite Irenei (Steenberg), Priest Philip Halliwell, and others
- 3:15 – Lecture V – by Dr Christopher Veniamin: “Salvation in the Orthodox Church: Metanoia, Hesychia and Theosis,” Part 2
- 4:15 – Closing Remarks and Thanks
- 4:30 – Symposium Closes with Prayer
* Please note that talk titles are tentative and subject to adjustment by the speakers.
PLACE & CONTACT INFO
Old Cathedral of the Holy Virgin
864 Fulton Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
Contact: Archimandrite Irenei (Steenberg) @ (415) 671-6262 or email@example.com